Vegan Decorated Shortbread Cookies in A Gift Box: You can absolutely do it yourself!
These light, buttery, sturdy cookies are the perfect choice for adding melting chocolates and fun glittery decorations. Also, the gift box and the colorful decorations make it the perfect homemade gift for a delightful hostess. A bonus: You can make it with your kiddos as a fun activity with they will never forget. So many opportunities, let us begin!
Vegan Decorated Shortbread Cookies
Yields approximately: 50 2” cookies
Cookie Ingredients List:
3 1/3 cup sifted flour
¾ cup of sugar
1.5 cup vegan butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
Optional Toppings List:
This is the fun part and you can use any chocolate you like, semi-sweet chocolate, color melting chocolate, or dye it yourself using white chocolate and food coloring.
When the chocolate is still sticky, you can use chopped nuts, colorful sprinkles, nonpareils,
• coconut oil or shortening for melted chocolates
How do You Make Vegan Decorated Shortbread Cookies?
Set the oven to 375°
1. Using a stand mixer with bread hook attachment set at low speed, combine butter, sugar, and vanilla. Then, Slowly combine flour and mix just until blended. Do not overwork. Add more flour if needed so the dough isn’t sticky.
2. Shape into several flat discs, wrap in plastic or place in a covered dish, and refrigerate until firm or until needed.
3. Set out 1-2 of the short dough discs to soften for approximately 30 minutes before rolling if refrigerated overnight or several days.
4. Sprinkle surface with flour, roll dough to ¼” thick. Cut shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies will retain shape, so they don’t need to be spaced too far apart.
• Bake for 8-10 minutes.
• Set on a rack to cool.
Decorating your shortbread cookies
1. Prepare the toppings: Melt chocolates by setting up a double boiler. Fill a pan halfway with water and let on low-medium heat. Fill small heatproof dishes, such as ramekins, with chocolates and melt slowly. Stir in 1/8 tsp coconut oil or shortening to each dish of chocolate.
2. Using a knife or spoon, cover half the cookie on the diagonal with one of the melted chocolate flavors, then sprinkle with topping of choice.
3. Lay on parchment paper.
To quicken the setting of the toppings, store in the refrigerator, and there you go! Now you can just nest these beautiful cookies in a box, jar or anything that looks amazing as a gift box. I wouldn’t pick a noisy color or to detailed box, because we want the colors to pop out of the box.